My niece recently turned 16. My sister called a while ago wanting some help in planning the sweet sixteen party. We had a blast.
She gave me the particulars my niece had requested:
- Colors of Purple and Silver with a touch of Hot Pink
- Grown up party decor - no streamers or party store centerpieces
- A tiered cake - cherry chip to be exact
So, we got to work.
The first order of business were the sweet sixteen invitations. We opted for Zazzle since we could get custom invitations, fast and for a great price. Then it was on to planning the party.
We ended up with:
- "grown up", sparkling centerpieces
- a two tiered cake with a jumbo cupcake on top (purple butter cream with hot pink polka dots)
- a buffet of heavy appetizers
- a memory board set up next to the cake table
- a sweet sixteen banner
- black table cloths with decorative mesh runners
- a candy table with polka dot take home treat bags
We had so much fun putting the sweet sixteen party together! I ended up making the cake -- first tiered cake I had every made , and maybe the last. My nerves were frayed though it turned out very nice and a lot cheaper than paying a bakery. Anything for my sister and niece!
The memory board was a lot of fun. We used scrapbooking embellishments on a piece of black foam board and then added lots of photos of my niece growing up. She was a bit embarrassed but mostly thrilled with the finished product. It's in her room on the wall now!
For more pictures and ideas, you can visit the article I wrote here - Sweet Sixteen Ideas | Let the Party Planning Begin
Just remember, a sweet sixteen is like a right of passage from girlhood to womanhood. Most teenage girls want a more grown up feel to the party. This is one time crepe paper, streamers and mylar centerpieces from the party store just don't work. Look around the house for centerpiece items or buy some blingy items she can use in her room after the party. She'll thank you!