A fun, easy and kid friendly craft this Halloween season is to make your own Halloween themed books to display as part of your holiday decor. With a few supplies (ones you may already have around the house), you can quickly convert your home for the holiday. Old books are a great way to create a Vintage Halloween theme, as well.
The supplies you will need include:
- Wrapping paper
- Hard back books
- Assorted Scrapbooking embellishments
- Alphabet Letters in coordinating colors with your wrapping paper
- If you want to draw the designs freehand yourself, you might want stencils, markers, pens, scrapbook paper, etc...
image credit: Click here to get more Free Clipart at ClipartPal.com
- If your hard back book has a dust cover, use it as a pattern and cut out a piece of your wrapping paper to the same size.
- Wrap your book with the newly cut wrapping paper in the same manner the dust cover was wrapped.
- Decorate the spine with spooky titles and add or draw embellishments that go along with the title (e.g. spiders, moons, cats, skulls, etc...)
- If your book will be displayed so that the front will show, decorate that as well with titles and spooky accents.
Now, display them around the house such as: a couple stacked on an entry table, coffee table, shelf or on top of another piece of furniture or accent piece that will be seen.
If you are hosting a Halloween party, stack 2 or 3 of the books with their spines decorated and use them as risers for your food platters. Don't make the stacks all the same size, use a different number of books in each stack to vary the heights.
Create a vintage Halloween centerpiece using 2 or 3 stacked books and set a skull, a small candelabra or other themed candle holder on top. Accent with old skeleton keys, a crystal ball, apothecary or potion bottles, wire rimmed glasses or a spooky picture in a frame. Anything that will convey the feeling or specific theme you want for your decor.
It's a simple yet creative idea to add some elegant Halloween into your home decor.
Suggestions for titles of your books:
- Black Magic
- Ghouls Guide
- Witches & Warlocks
- Anatomy of Frankenstein
- All About Bats
- Transylvania Castles