Here’s something fun and simple to add to your graduation party ideas — crafts for graduation are fun and can add to the decor. For my son’s party, I made a graduation cap card box that the guests dropped their cards into. It was in the shape of a mortar board — graduation cap. It was pretty simple to make so I thought I would share it with you all.
Crafts for Graduation — Mortar Board (graduation cap) Card Box
- Paper mache round hat box (approx. dimensions: 10″ diameter, 6″ tall)
- Black Acrylic Craft Paint
- Foam Brush
- 1- Black Foam Board – Project Board
- Hot Glue Gun and sticks
- Box or Craft Knife
- Large black push pin or button
- Paint the paper mache round box and lid black. (No need to paint inside or bottom of box.) This may take a couple of coats due to the paint soaking into the paper mache.
- Cut a perfect square from the foam board. The size should be 12″ x 12″.
- Cut a slot out of the top of the paper mache box large enough for cards to fall through. Approximately a 6″ x 1″ rectangle will accommodate most cards.
- Place the round lid upside down on the 12″ square black project board. Use a light colored pencil or chalk to trace the outside dimensions of the slot. Remove the round lid and carefully cut the slot out of the black project board.
- Generously apply hot glue to the top (around the slot) of the round lid and then quickly line it up with the slot on the project board and press into place.
- Place the lid (with the project board on top) into place on the round box.
- Push black push pin into the top of the lid and loop tassel so it hangs down the side of the box. Alternately, hot glue button and loop tassel.
You could also paint a half circle on each side of the bottom portion of the box to simulate the point in the front and the back of a mortar board when it is on the graduates head.
Or hot glue a banner around the bottom with “Congratulations Grad” or the grads name. Get creative!
This large mortar board can also be used as a riser for food on the buffet table, decorations on a memorabilia table or set it anywhere to add to the festivities!
Simple crafts for graduation make the presentation at the party that much better. I hope you have enjoyed and can use these graduation party ideas!
*note: article was moved from my old subdomain to this new one. Update your bookmarks!
Incoming search terms:
- graduation craft ideas
- graduation card box ideas
- DIY Graduation Party Ideas
- graduation party card box ideas
- graduation party decorating ideas blog
- High School Graduation Craft Ideas
- how to make a graduation cap card box
- how to make ornaments for a graduated party
- mache commencement videos
- artscraft for 2015 gradution